Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Adrianna Game "Pumps"


Adrianna Game
October 11, 2011
Senior Seminar
Graphic Poetry Project

“Pumps”

            In creating my poem, I drew upon concepts and ideas that were introduced in our assigned article, “Anthology of Concrete Poetry”. I was influenced by the Edward Lucie Smith’s quote, “Form determines meaning. Better still, form is meaning” (E.L.S. Notebooks). I focused on form in order to create life in my poem. I intentionally picked the form of something familiar and interesting to me, and relied on it to create the graphic aspect of my poem. The words that are presented in the graphic poem are identifiable to me, but the reader may only experience the poem’s effect when focusing on form. Focusing on the form of a poem was something somewhat challenging because generally speaking, we may be used to focusing on the textual aspect of a poem. The emphasis on form is what provokes creativity and the reader will be able to recognize how visual and text should compliment each other.

            If I was to eliminate the graphic aspect of poem and rely solely on the textual aspect, my poem might appear to be very dull and perhaps pointless. The visual aspect of my poem is what brings it to life. When R.P. Draper discusses how concrete poetry can be achieved, he advises, “Taking advantage of the extra impact which can be given to words by visual lay out” (Draper 329). This is essential to understanding the purpose of my poem. If the words were presented in a text format, they would appear to be only words. However, the adaptation to an image is what enhances the effect. When the reader sees the image of the high heel, they will understand why those specific words that create the image were chosen and the relationship they have with the visual layout. I chose to take advantage of the lay out and manipulate the words inside so that the graphic form would be achieved. The lay out is what helps transform the text and gives it its meaning.  Draper influenced my graphic poem with his concept of connecting “verbal artefacts” with space.

My favorite example of how I manipulated form and text in my poem can be found in the heel of the pump. The reader may notice that all the words associated in the poem are all pleasant descriptions; things that make the pump attractive. However, in the skinniest part of the image, the word “painful” is presented. Female readers may identify with this aspect of the poem because the heel or this part of the graphic poem is what sometimes causes pain to women when they are wearing them. This part of the form is the only part where there is a negative association. It was my intention to play with this space in the poem and make it somewhat different from the rest of the elements. Although it presents the idea that pumps are painful, the poem concludes, “Yet classy, dazzling, sophisticated, and absolutely beautiful”. These pleasant adjectives take up more space in my graphic poem and have a greater emphasis. I related this to my own experience; even though high heels are “painful” to wear, women will still sacrifice because of all of the other lovely aspects that are associated to their image.

No comments:

Post a Comment